Killing of North Korean: Suspect thought she was playing a prank

Suspect claims four men travelling with her told her to spray Kim Jong Nam with a type of liquid and a woman companion to cover the face with a cloth. Free Malaysia Today reports:


The Vietnamese suspect, nabbed over the assassination of Kim Jong Un’s half brother, revealed her travelling partners had asked her to spray the victim as part of a prank.

“They told me it was a prank. I did not know it was meant to kill him,” Oriental Daily reported the suspect as saying.

Police have identified the suspect arrested as Doan Thi Huong, 29.

The Chinese daily reported that the suspect was travelling with her female companion and four other men. They had come to Malaysia as tourists.

She claimed that as soon as they touched down at klia2, the four men said they wanted to play a prank on one of the passengers.

They then instructed her to spray the victim, Jong Nam, with a type of liquid. Her woman companion covered his face with a handkerchief as instructed.

According to a police source, following the incident, the two women hopped into a taxi and left the airport. The four men made their way to a hotel in Salak Tinggi.

The suspect claimed that when she could not find her companion and the four men, she headed back to the airport the very next day, where she was arrested by police.

Earlier today, Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar confirmed Doan’s arrest. She was travelling on a Vietnamese passport.

According to the passport, the woman was from Nam Dinh, Vietnam.

Khalid said the woman was positively identified from closed-circuit television camera footage and was alone when she was nabbed at klia2 about 8am today.

The IGP said police are looking for the other suspects.

Jong Nam died after he was believed to have been poisoned on Monday morning at the airport.

The 46-year-old man, who was the eldest son of the late North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, was scheduled to take a 9am flight to Macau.

He had told the klia2 customer service that a woman had sprayed his face and his eyes became painful. Someone also covered his face with a cloth. He said he became dizzy after that.

He was given first aid at a clinic at the airport but died while being ferried to the Putrajaya Hospital in an ambulance.