Six dead after fire breaks out at Sultanah Aminah Hospital in JB

The Fire and Rescue Department has confirmed that six victims were found dead following a fire that broke out at the Intensive Care Unit at Sultanah Aminah Hospital in Johor Baru this morning.


“Six victims were recovered – one alive and five dead.

“Rescue efforts will continue as one more victim remains trapped,” the department said in an earlier tweet.

A Twitter posting posted shortly after, however, confirmed that the final victim was found dead.

Meanwhile, Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said one critically-ill patient has been transferred to the Burn Unit at the Sultan Ismail Hospital.

He said 10 staff members were also affected, including two admitted to the ICU at Sultan Ismail Hospital while another is admitted to Sultan Aminah Hospital.

Seven other staff members are under close monitoring for minor injuries, he said.

“We offer condolences to the demise of the victims of this very unfortunate event and we pray for speedy recovery of all of the injured victims,” he said in a Facebook posting.

Also offering his condolences, Health Ministry Dr S Subramaniam said the ministry took all necessary actionc to rescue and safeguard the rest of the patients and staff.

“The cause of the fire is still under investigation and all relevant agencies are working together to keep the situation under control,” he said in a statement.

A video clip and pictures obtained by Malaysiakini saw flames on the second floor of the building next to the hospital’s emergency and trauma department.

Black smoke could be seen billowing all over the hospital’s ICU.

Johor Baru Selatan OCPD Sulaiman Salleh had confirmed that rescue efforts were under way.

“Let us get further details on the incident first,” Sulaiman told Malaysiakini.

An officer from the central Johor Baru police station had earlier confirmed that the incident had just occurred although the exact time was not verified.

Eyewitness Habibah Abd Ghani, 37, said she was not aware of the fire and only realised it after she was out of the building.

“During the incident, I was in the fourth floor ward accompanying my father who is admitted for pain in the ribs.

“Then I heard a commotion and was asked by the nurse to get out of the ward. The situation was under control when we went down the stairs, assisted by the hospital staff,” she told reporters at the Sultanah Aminah Hospital, Bernama reported.

The newswire reported that at noon, the hospital compound was still congested with patients and staff members, who remained outside the building.