Woman on fire after using handphone while filling up petrol
A woman sustained burns on 60 per cent of her body when she was engulfed by flames after using her handphone at a petrol station in Setapak Indah this afternoon.
The woman, 25, was using her handphone while filling petrol in the car when the accident occurred.
“A spark ignited from the pump and triggered a reaction with her handphone,” said Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department operations chief Samsol Maarif Saibani.
Firemen were alerted to the incident at 1.25pm and deployed five personnel from the Wangsa Maju Fire and Rescue Department.
Numerous signs are posted at petrol stations warning customers against using their handphone there, especially when filling up petrol as it could trigger a fire.
However, these signs are often ignored.