Unclaimed PlusMiles rebates hit RM51 million

As toll fares go up, the government today revealed that RM51 million in rebates for Plus highway users have not been claimed since 2009.

ZB_pWPjYmhfLdD3HkKuxmA7oEHZZJoiGY97NQhfxxT11TU5WeAl_Hb-vJ6BYvQm4HHbW7xrqO-X8oy96JA=s800

Deputy Works Minister Rosnah Abdul Rashid Shirlin said since the PlusMiles programme began in 2009, motorists have accumulated RM72 million in rebates up to Sept 30 this year.

“However, only RM21 million has been claimed as of Sept 30,” Rosnah told the Dewan Rakyat today.

PlusMiles is a customer loyalty programme for Plus highway users who have the special PlusMiles Touch ‘n Go card.

PlusMiles users who spend more than RM100 on the Plus-run highways each month are eligible for a five percent rebate.

However, Rosnah said the rebate must be claimed within 12 months, or it will be declared void.

To overcome the unclaimed rebates, Mansor Abd Rahman (BN-Sik) proposed that an auto-rebate system be implemented.

But Rosnah said this could not be done because of system limitations faced by Plus and Touch ‘n Go.

Previously, about RM49 million in rebates for Touch ‘n Go and SmartTag users have gone unclaimed since 2009.

This was for the 20 percent Touch ‘n Go rebates announced by Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak on his 100th day in office.

This programme ended on Jan 1, 2014.